Thursday, January 27, 2005

 

Friday Cat Blogging


This is Abracadabra, known to her friends as AbbyTabby. Abby is an ocicat, although she doesn't have the ocelot-like spots that gave the breed its name. Ocicats are a mix of Abyssinian, Siamese, and American Shorthair (which provides the tabby bullseye). Apparently what happens in development is that there is a reaction-diffusion process providing the rings, with a separate process that breaks the ring into spots. Abby seems to be homozygous for the recessive, non-functional form of the gene that initiates the second process.

She doesn't know she's a throwback, though. When you get past the wildness that seems to be characteristic of the breed, she's really a very sweet cat.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What interesting information about Abby. She is a beautiful cat. Great photograph. I think that I will wait until I retire to replace my two cats. I would not be able to give quality time to a new animal in the short time before school starts, which will be in two weeks. I did see two white kittens at PetSmartz last weekend, but I used will power and passed them up. It was fun to find your postings. I just googled your name. "Bella's Player"

July 27, 2005 at 8:32:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home